Thursday, March 6, 2014

*REVIEW* "Ruin" by Rachel Van Dyken

I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18134249-ruin?ac=1

http://www.amazon.com/Ruin-Rachel-Van-Dyken-ebook/dp/B00EH3EIFO/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394117457&sr=8-1&keywords=ruin+rachel


I've had been wanting to read Ruin for a long time. I had heard nothing but amazing things about it. I posted up on the blog facebook that I wanted a book that was going to tear me apart, and make me cry ugly tears. Ruin was suggested by half of the people on that thread. I looked at the synopsis, and wasn't totally sure what I was getting into. I, literally, only knew that it was this amazing book that everyone loved. I had no idea how it was going to tear me to pieces. It was beautiful. It had me laughing, and smiling, and sobbing. It was absolutely amazing.

God, okay, I barely know where to start here. The synopsis doesn't give a lot away, and I'm trying not to either.
 
Wes and Kiersten. 
I feel for Wes' just as fast as Kiersten did. There's just something about him that draws you in from the second he says his first words in this book. He's hilarious, and adorable, and portrayed as the bad boy, and you're just immediately drawn to him, you want more of him. 
" 'Weston." He held out his hand. 'And you are?'
Screwed. 'Kiersten.' "
From the first time Wes and Kiersten meet, there are sparks. Adorable little giggling sparks. Where you almost don't see what direction this is going to go. Kiersten is stand-offish because of her own demons, and Wes lives for today. The two of them together are from two different worlds. It definitely makes for one hilarious introduction. 

Gabe and Lisa.
My god these two are a riot. I LOVE them. You will fall for Gabe's humor in a second flat, and Lisa is the best roommate that Kiersten could have had. Together they work to break Kiersten out of her shell, and bring Wes closer to her. 
" 'Did you just compare your sexual prowess to Chuck Norris' karate skills.' I asked.
'Same thing.' Gabe shrugged. "
Now, everything seems good. Wes and Kiersten are building up something amazing. Lisa is her happy crazy bubbly self. Gabe is hysterical and (I love him) keeping the humor flowing. These 4 friends are building an amazing bond, and nothing can touch it.
Until everything falls out from under them.
Until life happens.
Until it's not perfect anymore, and everything gets too real.
"There may come a time in your life when your heart will have to beat for mine... but you'll have to carry on if I can't."
It was, seriously, a punch to the chest. The turn this book takes from making me laugh and giggle and root for the couple, just halts. I had to put the book down, pick it back up, remember to breathe, and let the tears flow, because that was the only way I was able to comprehend what I was reading. There's a build up to it, it's not just BOOM-here-you-go, but no matter how many times I told myself "I was recommended this book because it was going to make me cry", it couldn't have prepared me for the depth of this story.  It goes so much deeper than I had anticipated, to the point that you have NO idea how it's going to all end up. There's a bunch of roads this story could take, and I wasn't mentally prepared for any of them. It makes you feel, REALLY really feel, for the characters. You laugh with them, cry with them, heal with them, and move along right along with them. 
"Maybe it's not the perfection of life that makes things make sense, but the chaos."
I am officially making it a mission to read everything by Rachel Van Dyken. Seriously, the writing was phenomenal, the build up was amazing, the story was heart wrenching in the most beautiful way possible. And I loved absolutely every second of it. I was sucked in from page 2, and didn't want to put it down, AT ALL. If you want an amazing story, with humor, and love, and morals, and friendship, and family, and a twist, and tears, and laughter, and ALLLL the good stuff, READ THIS BOOK. 


Favorite Quote:
"Fall in love anyways."
(seriously, I may get that tattooed on me because of this book.) 

0




0 comments:

Post a Comment