Wednesday, December 4, 2013

*REVIEW* "Only For You" by Genna Rulon

“In its purest form love is self-sacrificing, eternal, selfless, enduring, truthful, forgiving and indulgent. It also feels an awful lot like a kick to the stomach when you try to fight it!” 

All Everleigh Carsen wanted to do was complete her final semester at Hensley University and begin the life she carefully planned. 

When a wave of violent crime seizes campus, Everleigh is persuaded to attend a school sponsored self-defense seminar by her best friend, where she meets volunteer instructor, Hunter Charles. After Everleigh’s biting sarcasm induces Hunter to eject her from class, a tempestuous relationship is born. 

Everleigh is determined to forget the striking man, but fate—that fickle shrew—continuously intervenes. Unable to escape him, she declares Hunter an enemy combatant. The only complication…Hunter is resolutely pursuing vindication…by any means necessary. Verbal warfare ensues, and despite Everleigh’s ingenious efforts, in Hunter, she has finally found her equal.

Only For You is a compelling tale of friendship, desire, and redemption—brimming with intelligent characters, witty dialogue, unexpected twists, profound sorrow, unfettered hope, and love’s unassailable perseverance.



________________________________________





________________________________________



Hey guys, remember that time that I said that my absolute favorite is when Crime and Mystery gets mixed with Romance? Welp, Genna Rulon NAILED it with "Only For You". 

You've read the synopsis, but when a string of violence runs rampant on Everleigh's campus, her and her bestest friend Sam decide to take the college up on their free self defense class. Let me first touch on the bond between these two friends. Ev and Sam are more sisters than best friends. Having grown up together, they have the type of friendship that you only come by once in a life time. Best friends, roommates, sisters, whatever you'd like to look at them as, their friendship is untouchable. So even though Ev didn't really feel like taking this class, she goes anyway, because of Sam. However, when Ev meets her match in the form of the super hot instructor, Hunter, her life is about to drastically change. From 5 minutes in, these two have each other pegged, and a hilarious, albeit obnoxious first impression is formed. So when Ev continues to randomly run into Hunter around campus, she can't help but start getting frustrated.. and maybe a little curious..

"I have never called you an asshole - to your face - I simply left a trail of breadcrumbs from which you could infer my implication."

Everleigh, is hilarious. 
Sam, is equally hilarious. 
And Hunter, can give Everleigh a run for her money with sarcasm.

This book has everything I could ask for. A mystery, a romance, a group of friends I wish I knew, all mixed in with humor that had me going for the whole book. There is a seriousness to this story, and the lightness of the banter between characters helps to alleviate some of the pain you feel for these girls. 

"If I couldn't cry, then I was going to laugh until the hurt stopped."

The relationship between Hunter and Ev killed me, in the best way! It is honestly a "but.. but.. are they gunna? no? yes?.. okay.. maybe next chapter.. no.. wait.." situation, and it keeps you on your toes. Come to think of it, most of the book I was on my toes, because all but one twist in here (and there are quite a few) had me left with my jaw hanging open. 
To quote Everleigh:
"Shut your -- what? Did he just say what I think he said?" 
(I hear ya sister, I said the same damn thing.)

The bond that both of these girls form with Hunter is amazing. He's a mix between love interest, big brother, protector, and best friend. The whole group, Griffin (the bartender) included, become so close knit over the course of the book, and you have a full interest in each of their lives. You want to know more about the side characters, and you fall in love with them just the same. Luckily for us, Genna has continued everyones story in "Pieces For You".

Now, be aware, this isn't ALL a happy story. There IS a crime spree going on, and the campus girls are targeted. When the crimes start to escalate, all of their lives start to get a bit crazy, for some crazier than others. Your heart WILL hurt. Hard. But its worth it. It is so worth it. 

Favorite Quote

"Exactly. Forever."
(Come on guys! You know I have to give you a vague quote once in a while! This is one of those ones that will give me chills when I think about it later. It's been a while since I've had one of those, hehe) 








0




0 comments:

Post a Comment