Monday, December 30, 2013

*REVIEW* "When It Rains" by Lisa De Jong

One night changed my life forever.

Beau Bennett has been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first crush before everything came crashing down, and now he wants more, but it's more than I can give him. Things are different now. I wish I could tell him why, but I can't. 

I haven’t told anyone.

I never knew how much I really needed him until the day he left for college, and I was completely alone.

Then one day, Asher Hunt rides into town with his dark, captivating eyes and cocky grin. He doesn't care who I used to be, he's simply breathing life into what’s left. People warn me to stay away from him, but he helps me forget the pain that has held me hostage for so long; something I thought was impossible before he walked into my life.

I’ve been hurt. 

I’ve been saved. 

And I’ve found hope. 

I thought my story was written that night, but now I know it was only a new beginning. Until one secret turns my world upside down…

Again.


_____________________________________________


_____________________________________________


I’m pretty sure that I have NEVER cried harder reading a book… ever. It was worth every tear, every sob, every sniffle. With the amount of emotion that is in this book, you can tell that Lisa De Jong poured every part of her being into the words.

I honestly cannot tell much about this book without giving much away. But when I can tell you, is that you will laugh, cry, smile, wonder, care more, tell someone you love them (immediately), find out the difference between soul-mates and love, and all around you will just… feel. You will feel so much, from the depths of your soul that it will hurt.

You will want to give Kate a hug that lasts for hours. 
“The old Kate is gone… and she’s never coming back. And I’ll always hate when it rains.” 
You will want the friendship between Kate and Beau.
“He means everything to me, even if I can’t say it. He’s the one person in the world I trust not to hurt me.”
You will want the love between Kate and Asher.
“If my heart could melt, it would be in a puddle at my feet right now. This guy is definitely a Carrington import… they just don’t breed them like this around here.” 
Kate has been through too much, and she doesn’t realize that her life is going to take an even more unexpected turn once she meets Asher. Asher turns into her angel, the one who brings Kate back, stops her crying, and eases her pain.
“I feel like he was sent here to awaken my soul, but he chose not to stop there. He awakened everything.” 
She figures out more than she ever thought possible. She has to put her own misery aside. She realizes how much time she has lost because of one terrible event, and is determined to actually LIVE again. With Asher to thank for most of it, her mom to thank for being there, and Beau to thank for never giving up.
“Life’s not fair. Life’s often complicated, leaving us to deal with things that we shouldn’t have to. Life can make you smile one day, only to leave you broken into tiny little pieces the next.”
The synopsis of “When It Rains” doesn’t even do this book justice. I’m not sure what I was expecting when I started this book, but I got so much more out of it than I could ever imagine. This is not your typical NA novel. This goes beyond far “boy saves broken girl”. It touches on more than one sensitive issue, and takes you through all the steps to healing.
“I’ll always remember the look on his face when his eyes meet mine. There is just enough light in the room to give me a glimpse into what he’s feeling, and all the emotions he’s experiences melt into my heart.”
My heart hurt, my throat hurt, my eyes burned, my face was puffy, and my husband may have thought I was a little bit crazy at one point or another, while I was reading this. It was one of the best books I have read, ever.

…and I will never look at a napkin at a diner the same way ever again.

Quote that still gives me chills: 
“All the stars shine for you, Asher.”



0




0 comments:

Post a Comment