Monday, July 29, 2013

Axel by Harper Sloan Review



From Goodreads:

"Note from the author--This book is intended for a mature reading audience and isn't suitable for younger readers. Brash language, sexual hotness, delectable alpha males, some violence and adult situations are all over this book--you have been warned. 


Fate hasn’t always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch.

Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn’t by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.

For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle…her ex-husband.

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door. 

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to now. He’s carried his anger for so long he isn’t sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated.

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces?"


My Thoughts:

Axel was a great read, hard to put down, downright sexy, and a beautiful story of lost and found love!

Izzy's husband is an abusive bastard, but she has never been able to find a way out of the marriage. One night things go too far, but she finally has a chance to make a break. She calls her best friend, Dee, and thus marks the beginning of her freedom. 

"Girl, if you think I will leave you here with that piece of sorry shit husband you are nuts. Nope, no way. We are packing you up and hitting the road. The world is our oyster or something like that."

Now, two years after leaving her husband, she is faced with the fact that he still isn't ready to let go, and will do anything in his power to make sure she knows it. Thankfully, her other best friend, Greg, runs a security company. He is ready to go and more than willing to do anything to keep Izzy safe from her terrible Ex-Husband. Him and his security team are now in charge of keeping Izzy safe.

"That's right, baby girl. Don't worry, Reid's who you need. Him and the boys, between all of us, there is no fucking way that shit fuck is getting his hands on you, got me?"

With Dee and Greg by her side, she is slowly starting to feel a little more confident about all the craziness her Ex is throwing her way. 

"I know I am lucky with the friendships I have with Dee and Greg, they are the only two people I have left in the world. The only two people I know would die before they hurt me. They are my family now..."

All is starting to fall into place with "missions protect Izzy", until she meets her new Protectors. One of which, she never, ever, thought she would see again. Axel. Her Axel. Axel and Izzy have a very long history, but that history abruptly stopped once Axel joined the Marines years and years ago. There are always 3 sides to every story, and their story is no exception to that rule of thumb. Now that Axel is back, and has orders to protect Izzy, her life may just get a little more out of control before it starts to get better.

This story line was great! With so many random twist and turns, it kept me reading non stop. It made me want to be a part of this group of friends. My ONLY complaint would be the "Alpha Male Caveman Speak". I've always had a small issue with that. But, Axel didn't go overkill with it, so it wasn't too bothersome.

Also.. Holy sweet Marine book boyfriends!!! Have I mentioned I have a military weakness? ANYWHO..

I'm very VERY excited for the rest of the books in this series. Book 2 will be about Greg, and I absolutely adored him! And for the love of god PLEASE tell me Maddox is getting his own book!! I definitely recommend picking up a copy of Axel asap ;)


Favorite Quote:

"...right now... I can almost hope that fate has decided to love me and give me some happiness for a change."



0




0 comments:

Post a Comment