Thursday, June 20, 2013

Killing Sarai by J. A. Redmerski Review


From GoodReads:

"Sarai was only fourteen when her mother uprooted her to live in Mexico with a notorious drug lord. Over time she forgot what it was like to live a normal life, but she never let go of her hope to escape the compound where she has been held for the past nine years.

Victor is a cold-blooded assassin who, like Sarai, has known only death and violence since he was a young boy. When Victor arrives at the compound to collect details and payment for a hit, Sarai sees him as her only opportunity for escape. But things don’t go as planned and instead of finding transport back to Tucson, she finds herself free from one dangerous man and caught in the clutches of another.

While on the run, Victor strays from his primal nature as he succumbs to his conscience and resolves to help Sarai. As they grow closer, he finds himself willing to risk everything to keep her alive; even his relationship with his devoted brother and liaison, Niklas, who now like everyone else wants Sarai dead.


As Victor and Sarai slowly build a trust, the differences between them seem to lessen, and an unlikely attraction intensifies. But Victor’s brutal skills and experience may not be enough in the end to save her, as the power she unknowingly holds over him may ultimately be what gets her killed.

This is their story…"





My Thoughts:

I can't even begin to do Killing Sarai justice in this review, I really REALLY can't. It is hands down THE best book I have read in a very long time. J. A. Redmerski, you have done it AGAIN. I thought I was hooked on you after The Edge of Never, but after reading this too, you have a reader for LIFE.

This is in NO way your typical YA/NA/Romance, this is absolutely a Suspense novel, with a bit of Romance as a tasty side.

Sarai was given, by her mother, to a man named Javier, a mexican drug lord, who has held her basically captive at his compound in Mexico since she was 14 years old. She is his favorite, and she knows too much. While he is in a meeting with Victor, an American assassin, about a hit he would like to set up, Sarai sees it as her ticket out of the compound. 

"..he is the first American I've seen in years. He's our only chance."

"I stole a handgun from Izel's room last year and have kept it hidden under a floorboard.. The second I saw the American enter the house I had pulled back the floorboard to retrieve it and shoved it in the back of my shorts.
I knew I'd need it tonight."

Sarai is determined to make it out of the compound, alive, and return to Tucson. So when she comes face to face with the American, after sneaking into his car before he left his and Javier's meeting, she makes it known that she will not take no for an answer, she needs out. 

"..pressing the barrel against the back of his head. "Just drive", I say in English, my hands shaking holding the gun in place. I've never killed anyone before and I don't want to, but I'm not going back into that compound."

Sarai, for lack of a better way to put it, is a complete bad-ass through this whole book. She is headstrong, not afraid to die, is set in what she wants, and will do whatever it takes to get it. But some things she may not be able to control, namely Victor. Her life, quite literally, is in his hands.

Victor, from the start, is a man of few words, who doesn't let ANY sort of emotion have an effect on him. However, he seems to go back and forth for almost the whole book, as to how to handle Sarai. He just can't bring himself to let her go. He is a top assassin, and just having her near him can put his entire career, and life, in jeopardy. There are too many people who want Sarai dead, so the closer her and Victor get, the higher the risk of them both being killed. Over time, even Victors own brother (who is also his liaison), Niklas, wants Sarai dead.

With both of their lives in Victors hands, there are insane bumps along the road, hard decisions to be made, lies to be told, and in the end, just hope that they will both survive it.

I usually go for books where I can relate to characters. That being said, I have never been held captive by a mexican drug lord, to be rescued by a sexy assassin who I slowly fall for. However, I was SO wrapped up in this book that I couldn't help but live everything Sarai was living, and feel the internal battle that Victor was feeling. This was a can't-put-this-down-don't-need-sleep read for me. 

OH.. did I mention there will be a SEQUEL to this!? Yes.. it is announced at the end of the book. Look for Reviving Izabel, release date not set yet. BUT, do not wait to read Killing Sarai, it is not a cliffhanger. It leaves you wanting SO much more, and to know what happens next, but it is not a "typical" cliffhanger. 


ALSOOOO.. for you J. A. Redmerski fans, like I so very much am, there is a sneak peek into The Edge of Always, the sequel to The Edge of Never at the end of this book. The Edge of Never is WAY up there on my favorites list, however I did not review it because I read it a long while before I started this blog. The Edge of Never is FANTASTIC, so go read it!! And do not, I repeat, DO NOT, read the sneak peek at the end of Killing Sarai until you have read The Edge of Never.

0




0 comments:

Post a Comment